Saturday, June 13, 2009

Richard Melville Hall


It's hard to believe that on June 30th Moby will be releasing his 9th studio album. It seems like only yesteryear that rave babies were frothing to Go & Feeling So Real - but in reality that was nearly 15 years ago, sheee-it.

Listening through Moby's back catalogue you'll find the majority of his work is very formulaic and structurally simple: piano melody + basic drum pattern + vox sample + sweeping strings. The formula is simple yet very effective, and through this he's crossed into many genres while stockpiling volumes of quality tunes.

Moby's latest album Wait For Me is a fairly low-key affair, he recorded it all himself in his NYC studio using only analogue gear. It has no stand out radio hits or tracks that will be used to sell you a Volkswagen, toothpaste or feminine napkins... Moby had this to say about the album: "It's a quieter and more melodic and more mournful and more personal record than some of the records I've made in the past."

My favourite track from the album is Mistake which in itself is a departure from the rest of the album - it sounds keenly similar to the underground British post-punk bands of the 80's - who also inspired his 1996 album Animal Rights which turned out to be garbage. So here it is, plus two other classic Moby tracks for your listening pleasure:

Moby - Mistake

Moby - Dog

Moby - My Beautiful Blue Sky

4 comments:

  1. Never been a big fan of Moby's vocal work and this further reiterates that point. Hire help or don't have vocals at all Moby, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi,

    I assisted at your last show to Metropolis in Montreal on Sept,26 I waited many minutes after the end of your show for obtain one authographe on your cd "Wait for me" Unfortunatly, I have can't because I have had not one bracelet for enter in your lodge. Fortunately I have can obtain one sheet of the songs played this night let on the scene at the end of your show. I would appreciate,if you accept to have your autograph on this sheet. I am ready pay for all shipping cost for to have your Personnal Autograph on my Concert Sheet. Thank's very much for your good collaboration and my personnals congratulations for your WONDERFUL SHOW presented in Montreal. France

    ReplyDelete