Saturday, July 18, 2009

The Count Five - Psychotic Reaction

After a few pops while I was back in Ontario, a friend of mine and I were having good discussion on music when we stumbled upon the topic of 60's garage bands.

A number independent bands in the 60's such as The Count Five, The Creation, and The Music Machine were laying the ground work for what was later known as punk. It was their free spirited low production sound that helped influence a generation of New York punks after them such as Talking heads, The Pretenders and The Ramones.

It was this little Youtube video that my mate sent me that sparked the entire conversation in the first place. This "I don't give a fuck" attitude can be witnessed first hand in this video. I don't think these Californian kids cared much for being suited up, lip syncing & and being unplugged. As can be seen when the harp player tries to get his drummer to smash the symbol out of rhythm.



The Count Five - Psychotic Reaction

The Standells - Dirty Water

The Creation - Hey Joe

4 comments:

  1. Harp? Isn't he playing a harmonica?

    ReplyDelete
  2. harmonica

    1. A small rectangular instrument consisting of a row of free reeds set back in air holes, played by exhaling or inhaling. Also called mouth harp, mouth organ; also called regionally French harp.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alright FINE. You win this round of the instrument naming game. I'll get you next time Batman!

    ReplyDelete
  4. First, thanks for the video! I got excellent memories with this topic because I had some years ago my own garage band, we were so good but we never had enough money to become an excellent band.m10m

    ReplyDelete